The Nicholson Heritage Association is raising funds to renovate the former Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad’s (DL&W) Nicholson Station, located right off Route 11.  This landmark has been a virtually unchanged fixture in Nicholson for more than 160 years.

 In addition to the many individual donations that we’ve received, we would also like to thank the following for their generosity of donations to this project: Airline Petroleum, Canadian Pacific, Facet Cycling LLC, First National Bank, First Presbyterian Church (Nicholson, PA), Geisinger Medical Group, Golf Tournaments – Craig Smith, Golf Tournament – Matthew Lochen, H & D Waste, Lech’s Pharmacy, M&R Trucking, Nicholson Alumni Association, Nicholson Women’s Club, Pepsi (Refresh Project), Peoples Neighborhood Bank, Tom E. Dailey Foundation, Union Grange #152, United Methodist Church Mission Group (Nicholson, PA), United Methodist Women.

Built in 1849 by the Liggett’s Gap Railroad, one of DL&W’s predecessors, the railroad station was the first station built on the Scranton, PA to Great Bend, PA line. Before being used as a freight and passenger station, the building was used to house and feed transient workers. In 1855, the local U.S. Post Office was moved to the station, at which time the name of the settlement was changed from Baconville (sometimes also referred to as Bacontown) to Nicholson. In May 1878, the first telephone service in Northeastern Pennsylvania was opened between the station in Nicholson and the DL&W station in Scranton, about 21 miles south. Nicholson was not the same once the railroad was built. Until the completion of the Clarks Summit-Hallstead Cut-off in 1915, Nicholson was the low point on the rail line and four locomotives were kept here near the station at all times to push trains out of the valley. After the Cut-off was finished in 1915, the railroad station handled freight service only and passenger service was then provided from the new station built on the hill near the recently completed Tunkhannock Viaduct, or Nicholson Bridge.

Members of the Association have met or discussed this project with representatives from Preservation Pennsylvania, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Development, Pennsylvania’s Department of Transportation, the Endless Mountains Heritage Region, the Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority, and the Northern Tier Regional Planning and Development Commission to garner technical and financial support. We’ll continue to foster these relationships, as well as continue to garner support within the community and region. We are excited about spearheading this initiative and want to encourage innovative partnerships and approaches to the historic preservation of this station with local, state, and federal partners, individuals, and other organizations. By working together, we can preserve this historical, cultural building and promote economic revitalization within our town and region.